Unfolding Objects - Papercraft Preview




Papercraft Previews:




Tried to make a sewing machine, but couldn't get the shapes to convert to 2D. Despite being constructed from geometric forms, I ran into problems with Rhino recognizing edges/corners to move properly, or large portions of my object disappearing when I ran the MeshBooleanMerge or explode functions. They also ended up with random lines across surfaces that defined nothing. From here I took a step backward to model a simpler shape. 

At this point I understood all of the things we did in class and could easily perform the steps of flattening geometric forms, but once I started adding personal expression and construction to the process I found I was getting tripped up...

Experiment 1: Sewing Machine
 



Object 1: A Rural Mailbox



This object was the first success I had while figuring out how to unroll more complex shapes - I discovered that I was struggling with the MeshBooleanMerge feature, which kept introducing strange fragmentary artifacts. I also had some duplicate curves that were getting in the way of a clean Join.

This object was designed based on the rural mailboxes I had growing up in the country. They were a constant object of fascination and anticipation, even leading to some fledgling attempts at inventorship wherein I attempted to craft a vacuum-powered delivery mechanism from the mailbox to the porch. 

Object 2: Parasaurolophus Skull

This 3D study is based on a clay skull I received for my seventh birthday, at the height of Dino-mania. It was embedded in a brick of pebbles and glue to be excavated with an ineffective pick and hammer. 



For this unforgivably organic shape I constructed it purely from scratch. 
Step 1: A 2D geometric "drawing"
Step 2: Added points to all intersections
Step 3: I moved each point in space to add volume, focussing on one side only
Step 4: Connected those points to the ground plane with surface triangles
Step 5: Selected all surfaces to separate surfaces from points and curves
Step 6: Duplicate to make full skull
Step 7: UnrollSrf
Step 8: Despair at the mess of overlapping forms
Step 9: Peel them apart and vow to never put them back together physically.

I was happy with how this turned out, knowing it would be very challenging. I didn't want unfamiliarity with the technical tools to prevent me from trying to tackle a significant object in my life.

Remaining Objects: Steam Shovel Components

The final objects are a collection of components from a Steam Shovel model, modelled after the lead character in the picture book "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel"by Virginia Lee Burton. It was a favourite story that I read as a kid, and drew frequently. Recently I acquired a tin-toy from 1939 (see image). As an artist, stories about inanimate objects are a fascinating study in the representation of personal value and narratives of societal satisfaction in different period in history. I often pair this story against the 1987 movie, "The Brave Little Toaster," as a juxtaposition of value post-World War 2 versus the 1980's.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Papercraft Finale - Steam Shovel Tin Toy